Friday, January 29, 2010

The Wolf Moon

Tonight's full moon will be the biggest and brightest full moon of the year because the moon is at perigee (31,000 miles closer to the Eath) than when it's at apogee. And since it's the first full moon of the year, it's also known as the "Wolf Moon", a term attributed to Native American culture and the notion that hungry wolves howled at the full moon on cold winter nights. So be careful as you go out and about tonight, and by all means do not let small children, house dogs, and de-clawed kitties frolick in the moon light. And if you don't believe me, click here:

4 comments:

Katie said...

It sounds like Molly!

Poppy Mac said...

It's not, it's a real live wolf.

Gretchen said...

I think Molly should give everyone a Wolf Moon surprise. And not a steaming pile in the basement!

Poppy Mac said...

My Bad!
This is turning out to not be a Wolf Moon. I took Doda out to the big circle a wee bit ago. No need for lights, Mr. Moon provided more than enough. I saw a bunny frolicking in the moonlight, and heard no wolves, nor even coyotes. Molly saw nothing, heard nothing, and maybe even smelled nothing. I think the moon turned out to be a wolf in bunny's clothing. Sure looked nice though.
Or maybe, Molly is the Wolf. Nah, she's just a sweet litle beagle.